Monday, March 28, 2011

Sisters.

When I was a young I hated my twin sister.  I really hated her.  Stacy annoyed me and I spent most of my days asking God why he didn't make me an only child. 

After high school we attended separate colleges and something  changed. There was a void. Did I actually miss the very person that had bothered me all these years?  Stacy would come and visit me at Milligan.  I would cry when it was time for her to leave. I felt so empty as I watched her  pull out of my dormitory parking lot.



Rewind.  I was 11 years old.  It was summertime in London, England.   My whole family was having dinner at Pizza Express.  I remember like it was yesterday.  Mama: "Girls we have something to tell you."  "We're going to have a baby"  Was I in  a dream?  My parents waited until I was 11 to have another child?  Were they trying to ruin my life?  I didn't want another sibling.  I didn't care much for the one I had already.

My baby sister Sarah was born that December.  It was love at first sight.  She loved me.  Really loved me. And I was quite fond of her.  She made my every step for the first years of her life and I didn't mind a bit.  She slept with me, hung out with my friends and dressed like me.  Maybe having a baby sister wasn't that bad.  Actually,  I really liked it. 

God knows what we need in life.  And boy have I needed my sisters.





I truly admire the adults they have become.  Sarah and Stacy are my best friends.  They love me unconditionally.  And not a day goes by that I don't speak to one of them.

Stacy is sweet, and wise and a good communicator.  She is the most non judgmental person I know.  She has a zest for life and is totally hilarious.  Her walk with the Lord is something I try and model.

Sarah has grown up to be kind and confident.  She is extremely intelligent and caring.  She possess the ability to make a hard decision because it is the right decision.  (I was never really good at that)  She truly loves my kiddos.  She often texts me to tell me she is having a bad day and she needs a funny Kneisley girl story to make it better.  I love that!  (We have plenty of funny stories to tell about things that happen around this house!)

I have 4 daughters.  I can't begin to tell you how many comments I get on a regular day about not having a boy.  Maybe I just don't know what I'm missing but I don't care one bit.  I am forever grateful that my girls will know the blessing of sisterhood.  There is nothing like it.....

So when Anna, Brynn Caroline and Aubrey have fought all day (Yes!  Aubrey is in the mix now. She holds her own like a champ.)  and I am ready to throw them out the window....  I smile and know that someday their relationship will be different and priceless.

3 comments:

  1. what a sweet, sweet post. you make me smile. yes, we are truly blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree!! There is no one on this earth I treasure more than my sister, Virginia. And I've got 2 girls (no boys) and they fight constantly...but I always tell them "that's your best friend!". Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its funny, I've been reading your blog & everything that happens to your house & with your 4 beautiful girls happens to me with my 2 beautiful boys!! But you know what, I've realised that it doesn't matter if you have 1 of each sex or all the same sex, they all fight, all play nicely together, all mess up the house (& sometimes with a bribe me help tidy it up) & they all give you just as much love. All I can do is cross my fingers & my toes & hope that the amazing friendship my boys have today at age 5 & 3 will continue into adulthood.
    Unfortunately I know quite a few people who can't have or are struggling to have children, so on those incredibly bad days & its sounds like you know what I'm talking about lol, I'm just grateful I have 2 healthy happy kids :D xx

    ReplyDelete