Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Road Trip

First stop Kentucky.  Every summer we head out of the sweltering heat to visit family and friends in cooler parts of the United States.  Our children anticipate it all year and this year was no exception. 

My family lives in Kentucky. While there, we visited relatives and swam in Nana's pool.  Her pool has a diving board that has no age or height requirement (unlike where we swim). All my girls jumped to their hearts content.  This was the first year Aubrey got in on the action and she loved it.  One day we visited with my Grammy Jean.  She is my only living grandparent and it is always a treat to spend time with her.  The girls "endure" all my stories about my childhood memories at her home  But we enjoy reminiscing.  Nana even babysat for us so that Ben and I could go out to dinner.  The girls stayed up late and watched  movies.





Second stop, Ohio.  Ben's family lives in Ohio.   We drove 5 hours north to spend a week with them.  They own two acres of land.  My girls run around outside all day exploring and helping Grandma pick vegetables from the garden.  Sounds idyllic huh?  Well it is. We took a picnic lunch to Lake Erie for dinner one evening.  On my birthday, we went to the Cleveland Museum of Art and the girls took art lessons.  Afterwards, we went to Little Italy and had Italian pastries at a bakery, followed by lunch at the Cheesecake Factory.  Most of all I enjoyed sitting on my in laws back deck chatting, with the cool, northern breeze blowing through my hair.  Cool breezes in July are foreign to this Floridian.











Third stop, The Lake in Apple Valley, Ohio.  We have a tradition where each year on the fourth of July we meet our best friends from college and stay at their lake house.  We go boating and tubing and talk while our kids take turns sliding and jumping off the dock.  It is pure heaven. We wear our bathing suits all weekend.  I never know what time it is while we are there.  We eat delicious food and catch up with each other.  It is so special to watch our children play together.  They have so much fun.  Our husbands turn into pyros setting off way too many fireworks to count. It is one of my favorite things we do as a family.













This year we did something that we have talked about for the past few years.  We left Anna with Grandma and Grandpa Kneisley and Brynn with Nana and Pop.    I feel very fortunate that my girls have grandparents who know them and want to spend time with them.  They know their interests, their personalities, their food preferences and what their struggles are. I want them to have one on one time with their grandparents.  I want them to remember sweet moments and gain wisdom.

 My heart swelled as I listened to  Grandma Kneisley read aloud with Anna.  I love to watch my mother teach the girls to fill up the deer feeder and sit eagerly on her porch and admire birds and watch for deer.  I listen as they tell my girls about faith and friendship and manners  My heart overflows with gratitude.  It takes a village.

These two weeks Anna and Brynn are receiving priceless attention from their grandparents-- times ten.    Anna will be taking art lessons at the art museum, visiting Niagara Falls and she emailed me that Grandpa had already set her up an art studio in the garage and bought her acrylic paints.  Yesterday, I received a text from my Mama with a picture of Brynn at the park eating doughnuts.  She will be visiting the Kentucky Horse Farms and playing baseball with her Pop. Mama has already taught her to play two songs on the piano.  Priceless, priceless times. Thankful, thankful me.

This is also a test.  A time to see if everything I am teaching them is put into action.  Not that the Grandparents will tell me.  But I can't help but wonder will my girls remember their manners? will they be helpful and kind? Will they clean up their messes and make their beds? Will they remember to give thanks to God everyday without me reminding them? Will they be able to keep track of their belongings and match their clothes? It's hard to let them "fly" a little.  This separation is a small glimpse into the future. They will be on their own and I have to rest on the fact that I taught them all I could and it's time to turn them over to God.  He will do the rest.  It occurred to me today that in life, my girls are truly only in our household for a short time.  Most of their lives will be spent away from us making their own decisions, spreading their wings. Our job is to prepare them for God to use them.

Our car was empty with just 2 kiddos on our trip back to Fl.  Every time we stopped to potty I felt like I was missing something.  The noise level is down considerably (Can't complain about that)  But it hit me as I sat in their empty room on their beds yesterday and whispered a prayer for them--  they complete us.  Our family may not have any boys, and we may have more kids than most but it's perfect and when part of our family unit is missing there is a hole.  It is noticeable.  I can't believe I am going to say this but, yes, I miss Brynn's incessant talking.  It's weird not to have Anna standing over my bed in the morning asking me what we are going to do for the day.

We dropped Brynn off last before heading home to Florida. Caroline and Aubrey were both crying.  Caroline whimpers, "But we have no sisters left." Tears rolling down her cheeks.  One of the greatest gifts our girls have is the gift of sisterhood.

Every member of my family plays an integral part in our family dynamics.  God planned it perfectly and I give him all the glory.

It's nice to be home. I am spending the next couple weeks focusing on my two littlest.

“What can you do to promote world peace? Go home and love your family.”
― Mother Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment