Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The Birds and the Bees

It's that time.  Time to have "the" conversation with Anna and Brynn.  They start fourth grade this fall.  I have been told that that is the year that friends start discussing a colorful array of subjects. Looking back on my childhood, it proves to be true. Fourth grade was the year.

It's strange really. With older and younger children,  I have a toe dipped in the waters of two different worlds.  On one hand I am holding up letter flashcards and playing dollhouse and on the other I have the imminent need to discuss  adult things with Anna and Brynn. Subject matter that will steal their innocence. Subjects like how people become pregnant and periods and boys.  If done correctly and according to God's plan those things are wonderful. (Well, maybe not the period part. Right ladies?) However, done out of sequence they can cause much heartache and pain.  My theory up until now has been ignorance is bliss, but not really.   I know that if I don't tell them they will find out from someone else and most likely, kids at school with incorrect information.  It seems that I am volunteering to remove the scales of innocence from their eyes.  As their Mama it is hard for me to do.

I love their innocence.  I love their flat chests and the fact that think someone can only get pregnant after they are married.  I love that they believe a baby grows inside a woman after she swallows a seed. I have inquired to see what they know.  It isn't much.  Honestly, it made me happy that they are still young, their minds are pure and carefree.  I wish they could stay that way forever.




They still laugh when they hear the word poop.  So imagine the snickers and eye rolls I am going to receive when I start the birds and bees talk. I know I have to prepare them for life.  Knowledge is power.  I fear telling them too much before they are ready. I worry about the questions they will ask and that I will be able to answer them appropriately.



I bought the book by Judy Blume, Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret? Hopefully, that will help. I have read websites like Dr. Phil and Focus on the Family.  It's time to jump in head first.  I dread it but it's responsible. Can you hear the pep talk I am giving myself as I type?  My sweet friend told me the other day that she had "the talk" with her daughter.  "It's not fun or comfortable, but you have to do it," she insisted. So I'm jumping in...next week that is.

This week the older girls are still with their grandparents. I will celebrate innocence a little longer. You gotta love toddlers.  I will play princess, gawk at twirly dresses for the 100th time and rock doll babies.  Because I know, it won't always be that way.    Today, I will go back to folding bloomers and frilly socks for a few more days.




If you think of it whisper a prayer for me. I need it. Or if you did something that was really effective please share. This parenting thing ain't easy! I'm sure "the talk" will prove to be a hilarious sequel to this blog.  Please standby :)

No comments:

Post a Comment