Thursday, April 12, 2012

Be You. Be Fabulous.

 Ever think you look great until someone else walks up and then suddenly you covet her outfit, feel frumpy and want to go home and change?  Ever been sitting in church admiring the lady's dress in front of you, wondering where she purchased it and thinking you have to have a dress similar to that all instead of listening to the sermon?  I have. In denial?

We compare ourselves to others constantly.  We notice if another woman has on cuter clothes, has better hair, is skinnier.  My friend told me once that often times we dress for other women,we want our friends to think we look fabulous.  If we are honest I think we would admit that this ts true.

We compare how nicely our kids are dressed, the size of our houses, how well they are decorated, how clean they are.  We compare our creative abilities in the kitchen and with our kids, notice whose husband "appears" to make more money.  We hand out supermom badges to certain moms in our heads all the while thinking to ourselves, if I could only be like that woman.  If I only had her life.

Trust me "that woman" that you admire and strive to be like has issues too.  She has insecurities like everyone else and probably is secretly in admiration of someone too and is placing them on a pedestal.

Listen, even the most seemingly amazing woman you know has baggage. You don't see behind closed doors. If you knew what you were wishing for you may not want her life. We live in an era of Facebook where everyone puts all the best stuff out there for everyone to see. We live in an era of look how wonderful my family is, how successful I have become, how educated I am, how beautiful my kids are.  We want people to admire our lives.  I read last night that this is called "facebragging"  I had to laugh.

 Do you ever find yourself in a conversation thinking of a story you have to tell even before the person you are talking to has finished what she is saying? Do you always have to get your two cents in and have your opinions known?

We are constantly trying to validate our lives by offering unsolicited advice on how to do things, sending the best snack to prechool and taking on way too many activities that we should have said "no" to.  Often we even tear others down just to make ourselves feel better, maybe not verbally but in our minds.   We are surrounded in a world of "one uppers" Especially women. We are one uppers. "That woman drives a nicer car but my house is bigger. Her house may always be spotless but I can cook better than her."

Why can't we just realize how unique and amazing we are?  All moms have individual gifts and talents given to them by our Heavenly Father who created each and every person...differently, on purpose. We were created in His perfect image.  This was no accident.  All our earthly possessions belong to Jesus anyways.  Our material possessions aren't really ours to start with and we will be held accountable on how we use them while on earth. 

Encourage other mothers instead of being envious or critical of them.   We need to build each other up. I guarantee that in turn it will inevitably make you feel better too.  Instead of always comparing ourselves to our friends and trying to justify our lives we should use our gifts to bless our family and others.

The days I am most like a supermom are the days I wake up and slow down.  The days I take joy in the little things, spend quality time with my kiddos and appreciate what God has given me.  I am fulfilled and content with myself and my life.

This year I am striving to be the best mom I can be.  Be inspired by others around you but do not covet their lives.  I'm preaching to myself here too sisters.  It's not easy.  It only took me hmmm about 30 years to learn this and apply it to my life and still find myself reverting back to the old me from time to time.

Next time you are on struggle street say a quick prayer.  Bring your mind into submission.  Get your supermom cape out of the drawer and make it a great day. Stop coveting and being a one upper. Be the most fabulous YOU, you can be.



And if I'm preaching to the choir...rock on with your bad self!

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the message in this. You are right on with your message on one upping and facebragging. I am thankful for you and for your willingness to share your thoughts on this blog. I am a friend from another season, but I will always be here if you need me. Love, K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent again, Shan! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this message! And really needed it this morning (God moment?) Thanks for posting!
    Lori (Stacy's friend)

    ReplyDelete