Sunday, April 1, 2012

Beach

We always make the trek to the beach when we have company in town and this week was no exception. Every time my toes feel the sand smoosh in between I instantly think, why don't we come here more?

We tried a Jacksonville institution this week, The Metro Diner. How have I lived here so long without going to this restaurant? We saw an episode of Diner's Drive Ins and Dives on the Food Network and knew we had to go. We were not disappointed. May I recommend, chicken and waffles, eggs benedict or french toast pound cake. Yes, my mouth is watering as I type. I must go back soon.

As I sat at breakfast at Metro Diner with our closest friends anticipating the beach afterwards, I looked at my husband and said, "I love living here. I never want to leave." Thank you Jesus that this is my hometown and for letting me share and enjoy it with the ones I love.


The beach.  Why is it that the moment I set foot on the beach I feel every muscle in my body release and tensions leave?  Why is it when I inhale the sweet, salty air that I feel so alive and relaxed at the same time?  It's true.  There is no place like it and fortunately I live close, so I can go often.  May I never take it for granted.




This week I saw it through the eyes of my sweet Aubrey girl.  I was holding her hand walking up the board walk and she stopped dead in her tracks as soon as her gaze met the vast ocean presented in front of her.  She gasped and said excitedly, "Ohhhhhhh."  She was feeling it.  The same thing I feel when I see it still, after thirty five years.  Awe.


I am never more in awe of God's creations than staring at the restless, blue waves as they crash violently on the sand over and over.  It's mesmerizing.  I always find myself deep in thought. Thoughts about life, relationships and faith.  Let's face it one reason I can have those moments on the beach is because my kiddos are always so entertained and I can breathe and think. Can I get an amen to that?  I sit and watch them pile sand into brightly colored buckets, collect shells and work tirelessly to transport water back to where we sit.  Content as can be.  I love feeling the warmth of the sun on my body and my children's laughter in my ears. I always leave feeling, thankful and blessed.




The beach is a perfect piece of God's creation and it speaks to me.  For some people it may be a mountain top for me it is a windswept beach and that is where I find my restoration.  I feel close to God there.  I had not been there since Caroline's illness and I felt a total connection with God. Humbled to the core and amazed at His holiness and mercy.  I could not stop thanking him for my family.  I kept repeating in my mind.  Use me Lord, I will go where you have me go. I will do what you have me do.  I give you my life wholly.

A big exhale before we left.  I know how quickly things can change.  Life is good today.  Life is good.






1 comment:

  1. Having been a Sailor at sea for many years I was always captivated by the vastness of the ocean, especially when you are out in the middle of it with no land in sight. It truly reminds you of the grandness of God's works.

    On another note we live within 2 miles of the Metro Diner and it's time for another visit!

    ReplyDelete