Thursday, December 8, 2011

Bath time: Introducing Bethany Hamilton...

We take baths everyday at our house.  When we don't I can hear my mother's voice in  my head saying, "Little girls need to have a bath everyday!"

Baths usually come at the end of the day and by that time put a fork in me, I'm done.  I am ready for everyone to be in their jammies winding down for the night.  The finish line is so close yet so far away.



Anna and Brynn take a shower in their bathroom and the babies take a bath in my bath tub across the house from each other.  So between the hours of 6 and 7 you can picture me running between each bathroom "directing".  Okay now rinse, time to get out, girls you are getting too crazy, You still have shampoo in your hair, Caroline share the bath toys with Aubrey, Don't dump water outside the tub.  You get the picture.  It is rather exhausting.

I had Aubrey and Caroline in my big garden tub, like always, and I started thinking about our bath time routine. (I used to be an interesting person I swear) ( Now I analyze bath time.)

To get Caroline to wash and rinse her hair I have to address her as Bethany Hamilton from the movie Soul Surfer. In my best announcer voice, as I rinse her hair I say things like , "Ladies and gentleman, Bethany Hamilton is now catching a wave.  She's now in first place.  Watch her go."  She insists that I refer to Aubrey as Alana Blanchard, Bethany Hamilton's best friend.

When I don't call her Bethany she stands with her hands on her hips and says, "Mama, I'm Bethany."

Bizarre.  But it works.

To get Aubrey to brush her teeth I have to pretend that she is a lion roaring loudly.  That is the only way I can get her to open her mouth wide enough to get her teeth clean. She roars at me at the top of her lungs.  I just hold my ears and go to my happy place.

Strange I know.  What ever works is what we do.  But if you could be a fly on the wall.  Seriously.

Bizarre and pretty funny at the same time.  I guess the end result is clean children so who cares.  I couldn't write some of the stuff that naturally happens at our house.  It's comical.  We do what we gotta do to get the job done and try and have fun in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment