Monday, December 19, 2011

Date Night

Date night.  I anticipate date night.  I look forward to it.  Date night motivates me on the hard days. Date night is therapy for my soul.

Date night happens to be one of the only New Year's resolutions I kept this year....

I wake up the morning of date night thinking about what I might wear, what color to paint my toes,  what jewels I will drape around my neck.  I try on all the different possibilities to see what looks best.  On my way to the mirror,  I trip over blocks, pacifiers and dolls on the floor.

My worlds collide. The irony. High heels and cocktail dress tripping on all things baby.  My girls sit on the vanity playing with my makeup brushes as I apply, primp and gloss.

I play so many roles.

Tonight I am me. 

I want to wear a fancy dress and not worry that someone will slobber on it or touch me with sticky hands.  I want to tease my hair, wear ridiculously big earrings, red lipstick and  I want to wear a ton of bangle bracelets and not have anyone ask to "try them on."  I want my hubby say "wow!" when I walk into the room.  I want to feel young and sassy.

I change my purse, from the one that holds bibs, and old happy meal toys and has animal crackers smashed in the bottom of it to the clutch that holds my i.d. and a tube of lip gloss.  Do I dare leave the house with only that?  A mamas got to be prepared....but not on date night.

Tonight I am friend.

Date nights are usually with our closest couple friends.  We laugh until our stomachs hurt and eat too much food.  It's fabulous.  I don't think about homework, or bedtime or housework.  I think about how much I love the people I am with. 




Tonight I am wife.

I feel "the feelings" all over again for my hubby.  The feelings of excitement and giddiness I always felt when Ben would come and pick me up at my apartment in college.  I love him even more today.  We sit close his arm around my shoulders. I notice again how funny he is.  He's the life of the party, everyone laughs at him. I smile. That is one of the reasons I fell in love with him. Benji also wears cologne on date night....not a regular daily occurrence. I love cologne. Anyone with me that one of greatest things is a sweet smelling man.  Amen and amen.

Food, fun and fellowship.

And then back home to sleeping children.  My precious, precious children.  My soul has been rejuvenated.  My marriage rekindled.   Thankful.  More than ready to be Mommy again in the morning. Church at 9am.

Time with my spouse is possibly one of the best things I can do for myself, my marriage and my children.

Thank you Lord for date night-- one of life's little pleasures.

1 comment:

  1. Well written! We'd be lost without date nights. I wish they were more regular.

    ReplyDelete