Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Kindness

One of the greatest lessons of my life I learned just a few months ago during my daughters illness and hospitalization.  Sometimes it takes hail storms to learn lessons.  Wish that wasn't so but unfortunately for me it is.



In the past I have been nice to people I knew, would take meals to friends, pray for my friends and family but I didn't really have a heart for people outside my "group."  I would see prayer requests on Facebook and gloss over them if it wasn't someone with whom I was really close.

When Caroline was sick the majority of people praying for her I had never met.  Most of the people who brought my family meals day after day didn't even know me.  However, they knew my situation, my desperation and that I was their sister in Christ.

I guess that is all they had to know.  It impacted my life so much.  I have prayed ever since, that God will make me sensitive to people's needs.  That I can be a blessing to people everyday.  Sometimes people I hardly even know.  I pray that I am aware of needs and prayer requests. 

This past week one of Ben's co workers lost his wife suddenly.  They had no warning.  She left behind  4 young sons ages 7-3...(very close to home for me just change the gender)  Ben and I attended the funeral.  Wow, my heart aches for that family. I never knew the woman but I want to help that family any way I can.  My sister and I signed up to take a meal.  If you would please pray for the Flanagan family.

I learned that a sweet note, a movie for my kiddos, snacks for the hospital or even someone texting me to say they were on their knees praying for me made a huge difference.  It doesn't always have to be during tragedy.  Sharing in others successes with their children or accomplishments too.  Like a note telling someone what a great job they have done with their children. Rejoice with those who rejoice, mourn with those who mourn. Romans 12:15

 Kindness is contagious

I don't want to take that kindness for granted.  I want to return it ten fold to others.  I want to get outside of my own life and problems and everyday routines and be present  in the moment for other people.  This life is about so much more than me and my comforts and difficulties and needs.

I pray that I am always aware and always willing.

I guess what I am trying to say is:

Learn to relate to others through MY (God's) love rather than yours.  Your human love is ever so limited, full of flaws and manipulation.  My loving presence which always enfolds you is available to bless others as well as you.  Instead of trying harder to help people through your own paltry supplies become aware of my unlimited supply, which is accessible to you continually.  Let my love envelop your outreach to other people.   From the devotional Jesus Calling by Sarah Young.

If you don't have this devotional go out and buy it today.  Your heart will be blessed.  I promise. Maybe buy a copy for a friend.

Just had to share what was on my heart today.  I pray that my human heart and earthly ways can be transformed by our ever loving Savior.

1 comment:

  1. So meaningful! I also pray that I am always aware and always willing!

    ReplyDelete