Thursday, May 3, 2012

Balance

Motherhood is a balancing act in itself but that is not really what I am referring to in the title of this blog.  How do I create balance in everyday life?

I feel so inconsistent. 

Some days I wake up chipper and ready to go, I have my clothes on the minute my feet hit the floor.  I rip open the curtains and blast Mandisa's Good Morning.  I am patient with my kids, write notes on their napkins in the lunch boxes.  I have dinner in the crock pot by 8:30am and at the gym by nine.  I speak kindly to my family, agree to get out play doh willingly, let little girls help make cookies even though it's way more messy and time consuming, we go to the park and read before nap time.

Other mornings, I drag my booty out of bed...late, my girls already decide to help themselves to breakfast most likely leaving a big mess, I am short and impatient, everything that comes out of every ones mouth irritates me.  Nobody can move fast enough.  I come up with 5000 excuses before 9am of why we must eat out for dinner and why I cannot possibly go to the gym today and why letting my kids eat cookies for lunch is perfectly acceptable.  I usually don't open the curtains because I want to hide from the world.  I don't want to be needed or bothered.  I put on television show after television show for my kids to watch just so I can spend time on the computer sans interruption and I can barely be bothered to remove the food from the high chair before it dries because, wow,  that would just take too much effort and if I am dressed by noon if I am lucky.



We can't be supermom everyday can we?  I leave my cape in the drawer many days and it makes me feel guilty. 





Let's face it as wonderful as my kids are they suck they ever living last drop of energy and patience from me most days.  My lips are tired from flapping all day, correcting, encouraging, redirecting.

Yes, life is full of complexities, frustration, joy, hope, fear and disappointment.

Some people see life as a battle. Every encounter is a struggle, and if they don't win, they feel like they have lost. Others view life as an adventure. A new day brings new opportunities to explore. If something goes badly today, there's always tomorrow. 

I think I am going with the latter.

As my sister always reminds me, each day is a new day. God's mercies are new everyday.

My conclusion is that life is an adventure.  Some days I'm up for traveling to the moon (and you most certainly need a supermom cape for that!) and other days I just want to explore my backyard and that's okay. 



Thank you God for your grace everyday.

Ben and I are going away for the weekend for the first time in six years.  My dear sister has volunteered to keep all my kiddos, God bless her. She may be ready to move back to Indiana after this weekend. Stacy will most certainly need her supermom cape! . We are going to Family Life Marriage Conference.  Last time we attended was when we lived St. Louis which seems like forever ago.  We didn't have kids then so many things have changed.  It can't hurt. Always working on our marriage.  It's the greatest thing we can do for our kids.



Will Ben and I remember how to have a conversation without being interrupted? If we don't talk about the kids, which we have vowed not to do, what will we talk about?  Let me tell you, the thing I am looking forward to the most is eating a meal, not sharing my food and not having to tell anyone to have a seat.  It's the small things.







No comments:

Post a Comment