Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Home and Away

I love the anticipation of a trip.  I love looking forward to our getaway months before, the challenge of packing exactly the right things.  I adore talking about our adventure with my girls and seeing the excitement in their eyes. 

One of my favorite places to visit is Ashland, Ky. It's where my family lives.  Its familiarity and memories envelop me like a warm blanket on a cold winter night.  That place soothes my soul.  Something comforting about going 'home." I love the landmarks that say "you're home" like the Marathon tower, the Town Center Mall, and Giovanni's Pizza.  We honk all the way up my mom and dad's hill letting them know that blessed chaos has arrived!







We are headed to the beach with my husband's family this week.  Cape Hatteras, North Carolina.  My girls have asked me everyday when we are leaving.  I fondly recall childhood memories of rides to the beach.  The sheer joy I felt as palm trees were suddenly in clear view and we could finally see the ocean in the distance and smell the thick, salty air. 

I wouldn't be truthful if I didn't admit as excited as I get to go away I get equally as excited to return to MY home in Florida.  My batteries are recharged, I feel renewed and ready for routine.  I love walking into  my house and taking in the smell.  I have been away, I don't see dirt or mess I just see my sanctuary, the things I love, the place where I raise my family.  I love waking up the next day and doing our routine in our space. I love that first cup of coffee in my home after a trip.  Fun memories still swirling around in my head, everyone fresh after a good nights sleep in our own beds.  There is also something great about putting clean laundry away in our drawers saying this is where we belong.

I am thankful for time we get to travel in the summer.  I want my kids to always remember, long car rides to Nana and Pop's or meeting Grandma and Grandpa and the entire Kneisley clan at the beach.  These are memories that will shape the views of their childhoods.  Relationships and times spent that will make an impression on who they are.

I don't take our adventures for granted.  I know they are a privilege. I am thankful.  Now excuse me as I pack for our next outing...  Happy summer to you.

Some pics from our summer thus far...









No comments:

Post a Comment