Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The Sock Drawer.

Today, I have realized one thing.  I do alot of jobs around here that no one else thinks about or cares about.  Now, men that read my blog, before you click the X at the top of your screen maybe you should continue reading.  Brownie points...ya know.

What did I do today?  I wiped out the fridge, did laundry and  bought Aubrey some ballet shoes. I picked up noodles and then granola bar off of the kitchen floor and cleaned dried food off of the highchair. The most exciting thing I did today is I bought new underwear and socks for my children and cleaned out their sock drawers. Blah, blah, blah.  I know.  I am a nut job or maybe this "stay at home mom thing" is making me rather boring. Did I mention I used to run a business?   Let me explain. I save odd socks all year.  I just know that I will find the match and that if I throw an odd sock away, I won't have it when I need it.  We have a sock monster that lives in our house.  He eats one of virtually every pair of socks that are purchased.  Consequently, my girls drawers are full of odd socks that make the drawer look messy.  Literally, every day for 6 months I have opened the sock drawer and thought to myself, "I really need to clean out this drawer."  Today I did.  I got a big 'ole garbage bag and dumped the whole lot of odd socks in the trash.  It was liberating. I folded all the new white socks neatly in the drawer (Yes, for the next couple of days they will be white)  and smiled triumphantly.  I did the same to the underwear drawer.  How my children's underwear end up looking l like they have been through 100 mud runs are beyond me but I replaced them today.  Satisfaction I tell ya.  And then it occurred to me.   I spend countless hours doing jobs around our home that nobody notices, but that matter.

It takes so much to get kiddos back to school.  Shoes, clothes, school supplies, physicals, forms galore and so on and so on.  Mothers do so much little stuff that is often off the radar.

I did alot of research, worrying and praying about my daughter Anna changing schools  She had to be evaluated, have reference forms completed,  have a physical done, she needed uniforms--all monogrammed with the schools logo. I talked to the headmaster numerous times on the phone and made many visits to pay deposits and tuition.  It has been alot of sweat and tears. 

Yesterday, Ben went to pick Anna up from school.   When they arrived home I was folding laundry in the bedroom and Ben came in and simply said, "Shan good job.  I haven't seen Anna that happy or with that much confidence in a long time.  Good job, Shannon Rae."   I about fell over.  People, that meant the world to me.  He noticed and thanked me.  Anna's success would have been thanks enough for my efforts but it was so great to hear.

So to all the men out there, sorry if you are bored to tears with this post.  Thanks for not tuning me out.  Thank your wife.  She does alot of jobs that go unnoticed and honestly are often undone shortly after she completes them.

And ladies great job.  I know the little jobs you do that go unnoticed.  They matter.  Go clean out the sock drawer.  It's a great feeling.

On a happy note...Aubrey started ballet today.  Be still my heart.  Cutest. Ballerina. Ever.  She didn't dance much, but boy did she look the part.  The whole fam went to support.  She basically spent the entire class waving to us through the window.




No comments:

Post a Comment