Sunday, September 4, 2011

Remembering.

5 years ago today I walked out of a Russian court room with a paper that said I was the mother of two year old twins. I was ecstatic.  I chuckle remembering this because  I had absolutely no idea what was in store for us.  It was the best of times it was the worst of times.

The next day Ben and I arrived at Baby Home #1.  The orphanage director asked for our paperwork.  We were then literally handed the twins and placed in a small room where we were told to change their clothes.  (The orphanage needed everything so they asked us to leave their clothes for the other children)  Ben and I were then whisked away in a car with Anna and Brynn back to our hotel. 




I was told they eat anything...they didn't.  I was told they would take a 3 hour afternoon nap...they didn't.  I was told they were potty trained...they weren't.  I was told they would be shy and wouldn't want to be hugged and cuddled.... they did, they were wrong, very wrong about that.  Anna and Brynn wanted to sit on my lap, hold my hand and lay their heads on my shoulder.  I couldn't have been any happier.  I was happy because I knew all along it had been God's plan for me to be their mother and Ben to be their father. We had to go through so much to get to that place.  With all the chaos going on around us it was the most peaceful place imaginable. I knew 100 percent that we were in the center of God's will.

I knew from the minute I looked at their precious faces on my computer monitor 3 months before that these were my daughters and I hadn't even met them yet.

The first few months were hard.  Our days were full of adjustments and the reality of two year olds smacking us in the face.  However, through it all, we had joy and peace and many people praying for us!

Now, 5 years later, you would never know of Anna and Brynn's humble beginnings.  People don't even believe me when I say they were adopted from Russia.  They look like me and Ben and their sisters.  You see God takes care of the details.  He just asks us to trust Him and be willing to step out on faith.





I love to see Brynn run down the soccer field and watch Anna do her moves in hip hop class and remember how it all started.  God's plan is so perfect.  May it be your prayer today to be a willing vessel.  For God to use you and your life for His purposes.  For His purposes are perfect.....  not always easy but perfect!






2 comments:

  1. That is so true, and those girls were far from shy. I remember the first time I got to visit and Anna kept taking my shoes and keys, and Brynn wouldn't leave Brian's side. Two loving little girls who fit perfect in the Kneisley/Hatcher Families, and it was truly God's Plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great reminder Shannon. ...God takes care of the details. He has rewarded your faithfulness with the beautiful family that you and Ben have now. I really enjoy reading your blog - it's so refreshingly real and honest. Keep on writing! You encourage me.

    ReplyDelete