Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Sanctuary

One great thing my Mama taught me (there were many) was to create a wonderful home environment.  I always loved the feel of my house growing up, especially, around the holidays.  Mama always had decorations for every occasion, seasonal recipes and of course a wreath for every month of the year on the front door.  I remember returning home from college for fall break the first year I was at Milligan.  I pulled into the driveway and let out a deep breath. I was home.  Mama had pumpkins on the porch the smell of fall wafting through the house and she had baked my favorite pumpkin bars.  I was so thankful.  I have tried to adopt ALL of these habits in my own home. 

I have realized in my adult life how important creating a sanctuary my family is.  A place away from the harsh world where we can feel safe and comfortable.  I love to decorate and have tried to put the things I love around me.  It can be small things like a candle burning, a fresh plant or some funky curtains. 

I also try and help my girls rejuvenate.  On the days were we lounge around the house I always make my girls a bed on the couch, with their pillows and favorite blanket.  Who doesn't like to feel all warm and cozy on a lazy day.  For my husband I often make his favorite football snack during a big game.

I can honestly say that when I walk into my house it makes me smile.  I love it.  It is my sanctuary.



We decorated for Christmas yesterday which is something I absolutely adore doing.  Unfortunately, my husband does not share my enthusiasm.  The girls and I sang Christmas carols, decorated the tree. and of course placed the stockings on the mantle with care.  We were even thoughtful enough to put out a decoration for Daddy.  Some blocks the spell out "Bah Humbug!"  Appropriate.

I always want my family to love coming home.   I can't finish this blog without saying my home wouldn't be anything without the people in it. Our relationships are the important part and the surroundings are the icing on the cake.

But as I sit here in my home all decorated for Christmas I never want to underestimate the power of  my surroundings.  I work hard everyday to make them wonderful.

Sometimes I think this gets lost in our crazy society.  Maybe I was born in the wrong era.  But nonetheless, I'm bringing it back. Thanks to my Mama!

1 comment:

  1. You said this to me when I first told you we were getting a house, and it has stuck with me like glue. Our old apartment was so tiny and cluttered that I came home from a stressful work environment to a stressful living environment and although I thought I was "resting" my mind was racing with what I should clean or how I can cram some of the mess into another nook and cranny and I went to sleep still stressed. As we are moving into this new place, know that your advice...I suppose Tonya's, is constantly running through my head. I'm really grateful for this wisdom...I kind of feel like a new woman as I craft my sanctuary!

    Love you!!

    ReplyDelete