Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Hoarders

Anyone who knows my family knows that Ben is a total neat freak.  We joke around that he has OCD but it's really not a joke he kinda does.  He does things like align the bottles under the sink, reorganize the pantry for sport and he sprays everything with antibacterial spray. He cleans the inside of our van when there's not a speck of dirt on it.

Anna recently told my friend that she should have her Dad (Ben) clean her car for her.  I had to laugh.

Do you all remember the scene in the 80's movie Sleeping With the Enemy when Julia Roberts realizes her ex husband has been in her house because she opens the cabinets and all the cans are lined up perfectly.  Well in a nut shell that is Ben.  Not the enemy part just the organization part.

Ben tries to maintain order in our chaotic world.  I stress the word tries.

I am not near as neat or rigid as my hubby but to listen to him talk about me you would think I should be profiled on an episode of hoarders.  Yes, I have a few junk drawers.  And honestly sometimes I get plain 'ole tired or picking up every ones crap.  Some days he will sigh and say look at this dump...referring to our home and I honestly look around and think is he seeing what I see? 

One thing I do for Ben is try and have everything neat and tidy when he gets home from work. It makes him happy.  This is not a small feat.  Especially on the days I just let everything go.

So all you ladies out there who complain your husbands are total slobs and never pick up there is another side.

I do have to offer a disclaimer.  Ben does help.  When he cleans my kitchen it looks phenomenal.  It shines like no other time. He believes that tile floors do not get clean unless they are mopped on hands and knees... Insert boundary...I DO NOT do floors on my hands and knees, my little steam mop works just fine. So, Ben started doing my floors (on his hands and knees) for me a few times a month. The man could totally become a housekeeper in a pinch.  He would do a fabulous job. I would give him an outstanding reference.

One day last month I decided to try my hand at photojournalism just so I could prove to myself how my four little ones destroy my house all day long and how hard it is to keep it as clean as Benji would wish.



 




The messes are constant. And I'll be honest some days I just say forget it and we leave it all day until about 30 minutes before Daddy arrives home. Then we have the power half hour cleaning session. He always tells me how great the house looks and I snicker thinking of the state it was in 30 minutes prior.

 I have come to one conclusion....as much I hate clutter and messes most days neatness is not happening and I would kill myself trying. Lawd have mercy!  It is not the legacy I want to leave my kids.  I would much rather them remember me spending quality time with them rather than cleaning so we can eat off of the kitchen floor.  Hey, we all have our strengths in life.  Cleaning is not mine.  Ben should be glad I know how to do it at all-- I grew up with a housekeeper and a Nanny! 

Cute little mess makers aren't they?




So we have come to a happy medium in the Kneisley household and it seems to be working. 
I just nod and smirk when Ben gets on his order/organization soap box.  Hmmm do you think God may use four beautiful little girls to teach their parents some lessons?  You betcha!

Kudos to Benji.  He no longer hyperventilates when he see the girls doing crafts or cutting up paper.  Baby steps.

Many days I feel like I am treading water.  Can I get a holla out there? And finally, I am not a hoarder.


1 comment:

  1. You go girl! Life is much more than a spotless home! God Bless You!

    ReplyDelete