Monday, January 23, 2012

Moments

I am sitting here with Caroline in a relatively quiet house.  Ben took our other three girls to church this morning.  Caroline is not permitted to attend any activities that involve large groups.  Caroline and I held our own church service.

We talked about how much God loves us and how He is always with us especially when we are scared and we can call on His name.  We have sung Jesus Loves Me 10 times and our ABC's.  Don't really know how that one fits into a church service but whatever.  I'm sure it pleases the Lord that we are learning our letters.

In the past when the kids were sharing "moments" I thought to myself, great they are occupied and I used that time to get stuff done. I think differently now.

This week I have been much more aware of the "moments" that happen in our home.  Moments that occur on a daily basis that two weeks ago I totally took for granted.  Some moments that come to mind are Aubrey and Caroline playing under my sink, all four girls playing restaurant together, fits of laughter and silliness coming from the bedroom, the twins helping Caroline eat her dinner and tender times playing baby dolls with Daddy.  I couldn't resist getting involved in some of those moments. The girls and I enjoyed a hilarious game of hide and go seek.  My heart was happy seeing the smiles on their faces and hearing the giggles.  Caroline was counting and Brynn, Aubrey and I were hiding in the closet in the dark.  Aubrey was jabbering away and Brynn says, "Aubrey, this is hide and go seek, not hide and go speak!"  We both died laughing and of course Caroline found us.  Priceless.






 
Multiple times a day one of  my girls will come sit with me for some snuggle time.  This week I have treasured that time.  I have slowed down and taken the time to ask them how their day is going and give lots of hugs and kisses.  I am forever changed realizing that the moments we have together are a gift.

I spent last evening celebrating one of my best friends birthdays.  I wasn't going to go but my hubby encouraged me to get out and spend some time with my most favorite people.  Ben stayed home with the kiddos and played nurse.  I am so glad I went.  That time proved to be extremely therapeutic.  So, I'm taking in the moments.



Caroline is still a little traumatized.  Her happy go lucky, sunny personality comes in waves lately.  I live for the moments  in which I see her cut loose and be a kid again.  I will do anything to get that girl to smile.  You should have seen the dance I was doing trying to make her laugh.  No dice.  Honestly, her sisters seem to be the best at cheering her up. 

Last week some church friends gave me a book that I haven fallen in love with.  I have read it everyday.  It is called God's Promises for Everyday. (FYI if you are interested I saw it at Wal Mart )  It gives scripture references for anything you might be going through or feeling.  I highly recommend it!  The following verse came from the chapter Counting Your Blessings:

Every good action and every perfect gift is from God. These good gifts come down from the Creator of the sun, moon, and stars, who do not change like their shifting shadows. God decided to give us life through the word of truth so we might be the most important of all the things He made.
James 1:17-18

Speaking of blessings...while Caroline was in the hospital someone delivered a large jar of Nutella hazelnut spread to my house.  Every time I walk by the pantry I stick my finger in it.  Now I know this was probably intended for my kids enjoyment but whoever you are you have blessed my soul...and stomach.  It's the small things, ya know.

If I have ever counted my blessings I am counting them now!





3 comments:

  1. Blessed to see you other children at Hibernia yesterday, enjoying "moments" with my granddaughter as I reflect on your posts. Thank you for sharing your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully said and equally inspiring. I need to try harder to enjoy "moments" with my kids. Thank you and God Bless!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shannon-I love your blogs. My mom and I shared your Adoption Blog with my cousin who is going through something similar. I had to laugh when I read this blog though---Nutella will always remind me of my trip to Monte Carlo to visit you so many years ago! Keep writing! Tara

    ReplyDelete