Monday, February 27, 2012

Martha and Whoopie

I'm having one of those days.  I put my feet on the floor and instead of making the bed I ripped the sheets off and said, "I'm going to wash these."  Yep.  I'm inspired today.  I feel my inner Martha, circa 1950's housewife coming out.  Wait, where's my apron?

Caroline, Aubs and I took Anna and Brynn to school.  I was still sporting my pajamas and pink fuzzy slippers, no brush had touched my golden locks and I didn't even put in my contacts.  One of my biggest fears is that I will have to get out of my car one of these mornings and I will die from embarrassment. But getting myself dressed it too much trouble so for now I will take the risk.  I do some of my best work in my pajamas. Serious productivity. 8am the whole day ahead of me.

I got out my Pioneer Woman cookbook, Southern Living magazine and flipped through the pages and got excited at the possibilities for dinner this evening.  I think we are having homemade chili,  skillet potatoes and onions, salad and blackberry cobbler.  No scrambling at 5pm to come up with dinner tonight!




Rain, rain go away, come again another day. There is a steady stream of refreshing rain falling softly on the pond in my back yard. It's raining and the thought of toting the toddlers around is not appealing, so this Monday I am working on my sanctuary, a little vacuuming, sheet washing, furniture rearranging and cooking.  I know I am a dork but rainy days are a perfect excuse for productive days like these.

Mental picture, are you ready?  Hum of the vacuum cleaner and this white girl (me) belting out the lyrics of Joyful Joyful like some african american gospel singer.  Caroline looked at me like I had lost my mind.  I kind of did.  Something so therapeutic about singing a song at the top of your lungs.  Try it you'll like it (Ever seen Yo Gabba Gabba?) If not,  ignore that comment.  But anyways where was I?

And yes I am letting my babies watch too much TV.  It's only 9:45 and I think they have watched 3 shows.  Don't judge. They look so content cuddled up on the couch together in their footie pajamas. Soon enough life will mandate that my sweeties are in the morning grind along with the rest of the world. We're not going anywhere so let the couch vegetation begin.  Plus it is really hard to run the sweeper with two toddlers hanging on your legs.  Ever tried it?  I guess it could be considered some form of exercise. A cross between weight lifting and cardio.



My husband will be so pleased.   A tidy house, clean sheets and a fabulous dinner.  I'm filling up his love tank.  Maybe our Sunday school class on marriage really is paying off.

But if you come to my door at 1:30pm  and I am still in my bed clothes as my Grammy Raine used to call them please know I really am doing my job.  No bon bon eating or soap opera watching going on at this house! Just a little side blogging. 

Two things I'm on struggle street with:  Why do seven year olds keep every piece of scrap, metal, trash, or paper ever found and call them treasures.  These treasures are always all over my girls bedroom and it drives me bananas.  Secondly, why does Aubrey always throw her food and dump her plate in the floor?  She just did it and I am seeing red at the moment. Just curious.



Go ahead don't be scared bring out your, inner Martha Stewart/ 1950's housewife and belt out Joyful Joyful like Whoopie Goldberg in Sister Act it will help you get a lot done and if nothing else it's very fun.

Happy Day!

Joyful, Joyful
Lord, we adore Thee
God of glory
Lord of love
Hearts unfold like flowers before Thee
Hail Thee as the sun above
Melt the clouds of sin and sadness
Drive the dark of doubt away
Giver of immortal gladness
Fill us with the light
Fill us with the light
Oh, fill us with the light of day......

Joyful, Joyful
Lord, we adore Thee
God of glory
Lord of love
Hearts unfold like flowers before Thee
Hail Thee as the sun above
Melt the clouds of sin, sin and sadness
Drive the dark of doubt away
Drive it away
Giver of immortal gladness
Fill us
Fill us with the light of day
Light of day!

(Check the rhyme)
Joyful, Joyful
Lord we adore Thee
An' in my life
I put none before Thee
Cuz since I was a youngster
I came to know
That you was the only way to go

So I had to grow an' come to an understandin'
That I'm down with the King so now I'm demandin'
That you tell me who you down with, see
Cuz all I know is that I'm down with G-O-D
You down with G-O-D?
(Yeah, you know me)
You down with G-O-D?
(Yeah, you know me)
You down with G-O-D?
(Yeah, you know me)
Who's down with G-O-D?
(Everybody)

Come and join the chorus
The mighty, mighty chorus
Which the morning stars begun
The Father of love is reigning over us

and by the way

What have you done for Him lately?
Ooh, ooh, ooh yeah
What have you done for Him lately?

He watches over everything
So we sing

Joyful, Joyful
Lord, we adore Thee
God of glory
Lord of love
Hearts unfold like flowers before Thee
Hail Thee as the sun above
Melt the clouds of sin, sin and sadness
Drive the dark of doubt away
Drive it away
Giver of immortal gladness ( won't you)
Fill us ( Fill us with the light of day, Lord, fill us)
Fill us ( oh we need You, yes we do, fill us)
Fill us ( yeah..., oh, oh yeah)
Fill us ( with the light of day, Lord)
....
( We need you, come right away,
We need you, need you today, we need you,
I'm here to say fill us, fill us, fill us, fill us...)

Fill us with the light of day ( oh, yeah)
Light of day!




1 comment:

  1. Haylee, our 7 year old granddaughter has "treasures" she leaves all over our house. Then when she comes back to visit if she cannot find one she wants to know if we threw it out, never! I have a corner of my desk populated with pictures, notes, etc. that she has made for me. She is quite the artist!

    ReplyDelete